J. Thomas O'Brien, Jr.
- tel: (804) 697-2070
- fax: (804) 697-2170
- 411 E. Franklin Street, Suite 600
Richmond, VA 23219
- Download vCard
- Print Page
For more than 30 years, Tom, who serves as head of Spotts Fain's Corporate and Business Transactions Practice, has represented clients in corporate, partnership and LLC governance matters. He heads the firm's mergers and acquisitions (M&A) team and serves as outside general counsel to many of the firm's clients. Tom frequently counsels business owners in entity formation and exit strategy planning.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1986) Chancellor, McNeill Law Society Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Member
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.S., Accounting and Commerce, 1982)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- Represents buyers and sellers in the acquisition or sale of closely held corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies
- Represents shareholders, partners, and members in the sale of their equity in stock, partnership or membership interest sales
- Represents companies in the sale of subsidiaries and business units
- Negotiates "Buy-Sell" agreements, shareholder agreements, partnership and operating agreements for closely held entities
- Represents owners of closely held businesses in contentious "business divorces"
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association
- Business Law Section Council Member (Chair, 2015-2016)
- Richmond Bar Association
- Business Law Section, Executive Committee
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2018-2023 for Corporate Law
Off the Clock
In his spare time, Tom teaches the Japanese martial art, Aikido. He also enjoys making furniture with hand tools and restoring automobiles. He’s currently restoring a 1956 Ford Thunderbird.