Billy Mauck is an experienced commercial litigator with 30 years of experience who devotes much of his practice to representing clients in the construction industry. He regularly counsels clients in the negotiation, formation, drafting and administration of construction contracts and project-related issues. He has handled numerous cases in state and federal courts and in arbitrations and mediations on a variety of construction issues including delay and inefficiency claims, performance and payment bond claims, mechanic’s liens, design-related issues, and defective construction materials.
Billy seeks early and efficient resolution of disputes and applies legal project management principles to case analysis and strategy, staffing, information management and budgeting in order to increase efficiency of case management and to maximize predictability of litigation expenses.
Billy serves as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association's Construction Industry Roster of Neutrals. He is an active member of the Associated General Contractors of Virginia. Billy regularly speaks to members of the construction industry on a variety of topics. He also is a contributing author to the Virginia CLE Handbook on Construction, with his chapter entitled “Construction Damages,” published in 2008. He is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating. Billy was named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation in 2013.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., 1985)
- Washington and Lee University (B.A., with honors, 1979)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Represented state agency as special counsel in suit for $25 million brought by contractor for cost overruns allegedly attributable to differing site conditions, defective specifications, acceleration and delay. Case was appealed to Court of Appeals of Virginia and Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Represented asset management contractor in suit brought by state agency for $50 million alleging defective and substandard road and bridge maintenance and repairs.
- Represented owners of commercial properties in multi-million dollar suits for defective construction and resulting property damage caused by the use of coal ash combustion by-products as structural fill.
- Represented general contractor in suit for fraud and breach of contract brought by owner of municipal baseball park claiming defective installation of structural steel. Case was appealed to the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Represented paper manufacturer in action against design/build contractor for faulty design and construction of $50 million facility to generate electricity and steam.
- Represented contractor in dispute with joint venture contractor arising out of the construction of a portion of the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel.
- Represented general contractor in $1 million arbitration claim brought by subcontractor for cost overruns on construction of high school.
- Represented subcontractor on project in West Virginia to construct laboratory for the Centers for Disease Control arising under federal Contract Disputes Act.
- Honorable A. Christian Compton, Supreme Court of Virginia
- American Arbitration Association’s Construction Industry Roster of Neutrals, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Construction Law and Public Contracts Section
- Board of Governors, 1999-2006
- Secretary, 2004-2005
- Chair, 2005-2006
- Virginia Bar Association, Construction and Public Contracts Law Section
- Executive Council, 1995-2004
- Secretary/Treasurer, 1997
- Chair, 1998
- Virginia Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
- Executive Council, 2002-2005
- Secretary/Treasurer, 2003
- Chair, 2004
- Associated General Contractors of Virginia, Richmond District
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Litigation Section
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Richmond Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America- Lawyer of the Year, Richmond, Virginia
- Litigation - Construction (2012, 2014, 2016, 2018)
- Construction Law (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America 2006-2019
- Virginia Business Magazine's Legal Elite - Construction Law
- Virginia Super Lawyers 2006-2019 for Construction Litigation
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
© 2019 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved