Brian T. Chase
- tel: (804) 697-2028
- fax: (804) 697-2128
- 411 E. Franklin Street, Suite 600
Richmond, VA 23219
- Download vCard
- Print Page
Areas of Practice
Brian Chase serves on Spotts Fain's executive committee and is treasurer of the firm. He practices in the Business section on the Real Estate, Financial Services, and Corporate teams. Brian's practice focuses on representing sellers, buyers, developers, investors and lenders with respect to commercial real estate, corporate, and lending transactions, including the acquisition, financing, development, leasing, management, and disposition of multifamily, office, retail, industrial, and mixed use assets. Brian has unique experience in the multifamily sector, where he regularly advises developers, general partners, and limited partners on new construction, historic conversion, and value add rehabilitation of multifamily assets throughout the United States.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005) Law Journal: Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business, Business Editor; Research Assistant to Dean Rodney A. Smolla
- University of Virginia (B.A., History, 2000)
- Serve as outside general counsel to multiple real estate developers focusing on multifamily and mixed use developments, including land acquisition, entitlements, entity formation and capital raise, financing (VHDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, commercial lenders, and life insurance lenders), management and disposition. Transaction sizes have ranged from $1 million to over $100 million.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in all manner of real estate acquisitions, dispositions, development, and leasing as part of the company's national outside real estate counsel team.
- Negotiated and closed credit facilities in excess of $60 million on behalf of a retail and catalogue home decor business.
- Represented regional lender on approximately $16 million of floor plan financing (new and used vehicles) secured by non-real estate assets of franchised car dealership.
- Represented national lender on an $8 million construction/permanent loan secured by owner occupied real estate to be operated as a franchised motorcycle dealership.
- Represented regional lender on a $7 million permanent loan secured by owner occupied real estate to be operated as a franchised new/used auto dealership.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in all aspects of land acquisition, development, and permitting of municipal solid waste facility in Virginia.
- Represented the purchaser of the assets (real and personal) of a mining and manufacturing operation.
- Represented sellers and buyers in the acquisition and disposition of a variety of real estate assets, including undeveloped land, commercial office buildings, industrial facilities, retail/restaurant sites, and condominium developments.
- Represented landlords and tenants in connection with ground and commercial leasing, including space for office, medical office, industrial, retail, and restaurant uses.
- Represented franchisees of national restaurant franchises in acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, construction, and development of sites.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in all manner of commercial financing transactions, including acquisition and development loans, construction loans, and syndicated credit line facilities.
- Represented landowners and developers in establishing and purchasing conservation easements in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Represented sellers and buyers of business organizations and business assets, assisting in the structuring, financing, negotiation, and consummation of acquisitions, divestitures, mergers and reorganizations.
- Advised clients with respect to entity formation; drafted all manner of organizational documents, including: operating agreements, bylaws, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Real Estate Law Section Council, Member, 2016 - Present
- Richmond Bar Association, Member
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- Greater Richmond Association of Commercial Real Estate, Member
Off the Clock
Brian lives in the City of Richmond with his wife and two sons. He enjoys traveling, getting outside, seeing live music and following college sports.