Marilyn D. Orcutt
Marilyn passed the Virginia Bar exam in October 2022, and is excited to launch her career as an attorney with Spotts Fain. She will work in the firm’s Business section, focusing her practice on commercial real estate services and general business and corporate matters.
University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2022)
- Law Journal: ABA Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law Journal, Production Editor; Research Assistant to Professor Jaclyn A. Cherry, Director of Clinical Legal Education
University of South Carolina (B.S., magna cum laude, 2019) (Graduated with Leadership Distinction in Professional & Civic Engagement)
- Major: Retail Management | Minor: Sport & Entertainment Management
- St. Margaret’s School Alumni Council
Honors and Distinctions
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Land Use Planning; Nonprofit Organizations; and Estate Planning
- Senator Burnet R. Maybank Scholarship Award, received by a graduating law student who demonstrated a commitment to public service, scholastic achievement, and high moral character
Off the Clock
Marilyn grew up in Mechanicsville, Virginia but travelled to the Palmetto state for college, obtaining her undergraduate and law degree from the University of South Carolina – Columbia. For two years, Marilyn played on the South Carolina Club Field Hockey Team and in her last year of undergrad, she obtained her real estate license and began contemplating the name of her future HGTV show. Marilyn moved on from her “HGTV-itis” and began pursuing a career in the legal field. In her last semester in law school, Marilyn served as a Student Attorney in the Nonprofit Organizations Clinic, assisting nonprofit entities with various legal matters. Marilyn has maintained her passion for horses and all things equestrian by showing in hunter/equitation competitions around the Mid-Atlantic region since she was 5 years old. Recently, when she is not spending time at home with her partner and orange kitten, Griffin, you may find Marilyn cheering on the Gamecock’s football team or enjoying the peaceful quiet the Northern Neck has to offer at her family’s bay cottage.