Brian Chase is a shareholder of the firm and practices in the Business section on the Real Estate, Financial Services, and Corporate teams. His practice spans a diverse range of commercial real estate, corporate, and lending transactions, including the acquisition, disposition, leasing, development, and financing of multifamily, office, retail, industrial and mixed use assets. Brian regularly advises publicly and privately held companies, including Fortune 500 companies, national, regional, and community lenders, small businesses, and real estate developers, in the multifamily, commercial office, transportation, retail, health care, and manufacturing industries.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005) Law Journal: Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business, Business Editor; Research Assistant to Dean Rodney A. Smolla
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.A., History, 2000)
- Represented and serve as outside general counsel for a real estate development company focusing on multifamily and mixed use developments, including land acquisition, entitlements, entity formation and capital raise, financing (VHDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, commercial lenders, and life insurance lenders), and disposition. Transaction sizes have ranged from $1 million to over $50 million.
- Represented multiple real estate development companies focused on multifamily, office, retail, industrial and mixed use developments, including land acquisition, entitlements, entity formation and capital raise, financing (VHDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, commercial lenders, conduit lenders and life insurance lenders), and disposition. Transaction sizes have ranged from $1 million to over $50 million.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in all manner of real estate acquisitions, dispositions, development, and leasing as part of the company's national outside real estate counsel team.
- Negotiated and closed credit facilities in excess of $50 million on behalf of a retail and catalogue home decor business.
- Represented regional lender on approximately $16 million of floor plan financing (new and used vehicles) secured by non-real estate assets of franchised car dealership.
- Represented national lender on an $8 million construction/permanent loan secured by owner occupied real estate to be operated as a franchised motorcycle dealership.
- Represented regional lender on a $7 million permanent loan secured by owner occupied real estate to be operated as a franchised new/used auto dealership.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in all aspects of land acquisition, development, and permitting of municipal solid waste facility in Virginia.
- Represented the purchaser of the assets (real and personal) of a mining and manufacturing operation.
- Represented sellers and buyers in the acquisition and disposition of a variety of real estate assets, including undeveloped land, commercial office buildings, industrial facilities, retail/restaurant sites, and condominium developments.
- Represented landlords and tenants in connection with ground and commercial leasing, including space for office, medical office, industrial, retail, and restaurant uses.
- Represented franchisees of national restaurant franchises in acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, construction, and development of sites.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in all manner of commercial financing transactions, including acquisition and development loans, construction loans, and syndicated credit line facilities.
- Represented landowners and developers in establishing and purchasing conservation easements in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Represented sellers and buyers of business organizations and business assets, assisting in the structuring, financing, negotiation, and consummation of acquisitions, divestitures, mergers and reorganizations.
- Advised clients with respect to entity formation; drafted all manner of organizational documents, including: operating agreements, bylaws, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- Greater Richmond Association of Commercial Real Estate
- Virginia Bar Association, 2010 - Present
- Real Estate Law Section Council, Member, 2016 - Present
- Richmond Bar Association
- Washington, District of Columbia
© 2019 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved