Elizabeth Turner practices in the litigation and creditors’ rights sections of the firm. Her practice focuses on commercial and business litigation in Virginia’s state, federal, and appellate courts. She is involved in a wide variety of matters including financial services litigation, contract disputes, products liability, and business tort cases. She also works closely with secured and unsecured lenders, loan servicers, furnishers, commercial landlords, and other creditors to provide a wide range of legal services both in and outside of court. Prior to joining the firm, Elizabeth served as a law clerk to the Honorable Henry E. Hudson, United States District Judge in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Elizabeth graduated with honors from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary. She earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and received a Master’s in Public Administration from Virginia Commonwealth University. While pursuing her master’s degree, Elizabeth worked as a legislative assistant for recently-retired state Senator Walter A. Stosch.
- The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- Appellate and Supreme Court Clinic
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Team
- Virginia Commonwealth University (M.P.A., 2011)
- University of Virginia (B.A., Government, Classics, 2007)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Obtained dismissal of Title VII, Equal Pay Act, wrongful termination and defamation claims against family-owned, closely-held corporation in U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, which was subsequently affirmed on appeal
- Represented a national bank in U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and on appeal to Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, obtaining dismissal of Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Title VI, Title VII, and related constitutional claims
- Argued and briefed bankruptcy appeal on behalf of creditor, resulting in U.S. District Court upholding Bankruptcy Court Order declaring sanctions award to creditor nondischargeable in debtor’s Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding
- Contested litigation related to collection of loans and enforcement of guaranties
- Complex collection efforts, including creditor’s bills to enforce liens, partition suits, obtaining and enforcing charging orders against and foreclosure on interests in limited liability companies and partnerships, execution on writs of fieri facias, conducting debtor interrogatories, and issuing and litigating contested garnishments
- State and federal court representation of creditors in tort actions, contract actions, and actions alleging violations of state and federal laws and statutes, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and Virginia Consumer Protection Act
- Represents commercial landlords in connection with enforcement of leases, including evictions, enforcement of landlord’s liens, and other collection efforts
- State and federal litigation related to commercial disputes, including those involving services contracts, sales of goods, product defects, and warranties
- Argued against Solicitor General of Virginia in Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in First Amendment religious freedom case through the Appellate & Supreme Court Clinic while in law school at William and Mary. See Wall v. Wade, 741 F.3d 492 (4th Cir. 2014).
- Jenkins v. Mid-Atlantic Detailing, Civil Action No. 3:16-cv-188-REP, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 158259 (E.D. Va. Nov. 15, 2016), aff’d, 2017 U.S. App. LEXIS 8454 (4th Cir. May 12, 2017).
- Failon v. Compass Chem. Int’l, LLC, Civil Action No. 3:16-cv-00926-JAG, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 69938 (E.D. Va. May 8, 2017).
- Wilson v. AC&S, Inc., 2016 U.S. App. LEXIS 20794 (4th Cir. Nov. 21, 2016).
- Adams v. McDaniel Services, Civil Action No. 3:15-cv-754-HEH, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29803 (E.D. Va, March 8, 2016).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Women's Bar Association
© 2017 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved