Construction Industry Practice Group - Replaced
The Spotts Fain construction industry team represents clients in a wide range of projects from single and multi-family developments to large commercial buildings, planned unit developments, retail, shopping center, industrial and governmental projects. We have successfully represented numerous general contractors, subcontractors, owners, engineers, designers, architects, materials suppliers, and developers in transactions regarding commercial, public works, and residential projects.
Litigation and dispute resolution services include:
- Business torts, including tortious interference with contract and fraud
- Employment counseling and litigation
- Construction defects involving commercial and residential construction
- Construction delays
- Mechanics liens disputes
- Premises liability
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Mold and mildew claims
- Construction contract disputes
- Loan documentation disputes
- Commercial lease disputes
- Mediation and arbitration regarding all aspects of the construction industry
Transactional services include:
- Contract drafting and negotiating
- Closings, refinances and restructuring including conventional financing and SBA Loans
- Commercial real estate development, duplex condominiums, multi-family housing HUD 221(d)(4) Loans
- Construction financing, including institutional and private market funding
- Lease preparation, negotiation and review special land use permits
- Zoning and land use permitting
- Bankruptcy, insolvency, foreclosure and workouts
- IRS 1031 Tax-Free Deferred Exchanges of real property
- Corporate/partnership/limited liability company real estate holdings
Representative examples of matters handled:
- Represented closely held contractor servicing various state and federal agencies in sale of its assets to a private venture fund
- Represented contractor in multi-million dollar lawsuit claiming construction defects and fraud
- Represented construction contractors on U.S. Federal government claims.
- Represented large mechanical contracting company in sale of assets to Fortune 100 corporation
- Represented many clients before zoning boards and commissions in the counties of Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Goochland and the City of Richmond
- Mixed property development - represented developer of large residential development containing single family homes, townhouses and condominium neighborhoods including multi-tiered property owner associations and condominium regimes
- Represented property owners and businesses in Americans with Disabilities Act - (ADA) Public Accommodations claims
- HUD 221(d)(4) financings - represented developer / borrower in development of 136 unit apartment complex, 182 unit apartment complex and 150 unit apartment complex
- Prosecute and defend mechanics lien actions
- SBA Financing - routinely represents buyers of closely held businesses securing acquisition financing, including SBA 7(A) and SBA 504 loans
- Zoning of independent living apartments for seniors - represented developer of an age-restricted apartment facility with 240 units
- Completed in-line lease and outparcel lease for shopping center owner involving two major regional retail tenants
- Lender counsel on a multi-million dollar refinance transaction of a golf facility
- Successfully obtained insurance coverage for a construction industry client on a property damage claim.
- Represented sellers and buyers in the acquisition and disposition of a variety of real estate assets, including undeveloped land, commercial office buildings, industrial facilities, retail/restaurant sites and condominium developments.
- Represented landlords and tenants in connection with ground and commercial leasing, including space for office, medical office, industrial, retail, and restaurant uses.
- Representing local and regional developers and builders in real estate matters, including land use, rezoning, subdivision, historic rehabilitation and tax credit projects, redevelopment residential, industrial and office/retail projects, and mixed-use projects.
- 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges
- Representing landowners in conservation projects and mitigation bank creation and operation.
- Representing developers in creation of condominiums, including conversions and mixed-use projects.
- Serve as legal counsel for a state-wide roofing industry association.
Our lawyers are active in related trade associations including: