M. F. Connell Mullins, Jr.
Connell Mullins represents a diverse group of global, regional, and local businesses in commercial disputes. Since joining the firm in 2003, Connell has acquired substantial bench and jury trial experience in federal and state courts, as both lead and local counsel, for plaintiffs and defendants in a wide array of contested matters, including intellectual property litigation, products liability cases, financial services litigation, regulatory proceedings, contract and business tort cases, employment litigation, and a range of other commercial disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Connell served as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson and to M. Langhorne Keith of the Fairfax County Circuit Court. This unique experience of having clerked in both the Eastern District of Virginia (aka the “Rocket Docket”) and in one of the busiest trial courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia enables Connell to evaluate the needs and concerns of his clients with efficiency, to advise his clients on pre-litigation strategy considerations, and to provide practical and effective representation from the beginning of a case all the way through discovery, development of fact and expert witnesses, motions practice, trial, and post-trial motions practice.
Outside the office, Connell enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three sons, and volunteering with the Blue Sky Fund.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., 2001) Member, Moot Court Board, 1999-2001 Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Member, 1999 - 2001 Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Manuscripts Editor, 2000 - 2001
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.A. in Foreign Affairs, 1997)
- Phi Kappa Sigma
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Richmond Bar Association, Member
- Permanent Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Blue Sky Fund, Board Member and Treasurer
- Ducks Unlimited, Richmond Chapter, Committee Member and Past Chair
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2010
Commercial Litigation Matters
- Served as co-lead trial counsel in defense of corporate client in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Norfolk Division), involving claims of wrongful termination by former employee.
- Represented community bank in defense of suit brought to enforce equitable lien.
- Prevailed as lead trial counsel in state court bench trial by obtaining early termination of office lease for corporate tenant, based on landlord’s failure and refusal to comply with lease obligations.
- Prevailed as lead trial counsel in state court bench trial for corporate client seeking reduction of real estate tax assessment, resulting in over $3 million in reduced tax assessment.
- Prevailed as lead trial counsel in state court bench trial for corporate client seeking damages for breach of contract by customer.
- Represented international energy company in regulatory proceedings, both as lead and second-chair counsel, before the Virginia State Corporation Commission.
- Represented businesses and business owners, including minority shareholders, in various state court actions (i.e. “business divorces”) involving direct and derivative claims of corporate mismanagement, breaches of fiduciary duty claims, partnership disputes, and other statutory and common law theories of recovery.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in business divorce matter, ultimately resulting in favorable settlement for client after depositions of adverse party’s employees.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in landlord-tenant litigation in various jurisdictions in Virginia.
- Successfully defended automobile auction company in breach of contract, breach of warranty, and Virginia Consumer Protection Act claims brought in state court.
- Local counsel for international corporations in declaratory judgment actions in Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division).
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division) against vehicle manufacturer client after challenging personal jurisdiction.
- Represented Virginia-based defendants in business tort case brought in the Central District of Illinois.
Financial Services Matters
- Representation as lead and local defense counsel for national banks, furnishers, lenders, and other related consumer finance entities in numerous matters brought in the Eastern District of Virginia under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and Virginia common law theories of recovery.
Intellectual Property Matters
- Local counsel for international medical device company in patent litigation matters in Richmond and Alexandria Divisions of the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Assisted with successful representation of corporate plaintiff in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division), resulting in multi-million dollar jury verdict for the client.
- Local counsel for national hotel company in trademark infringement action in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division).
- Assisted with defense of corporate client in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division), involving trademark and trade dress infringement claims.
- Assisted with the representation of corporate client in patent infringement litigation in the Central District of California.
- Assisted with defense of corporate client in claim for declaratory judgment of non-infringement of patent, brought in District of Oregon.
Products Liability Matters
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of personal injury lawsuit pending in federal court for corporate client, after filing motion for summary judgment which the plaintiff chose not to oppose.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of corporate client in wrongful death action, after cross-examination of fact witnesses during discovery depositions.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of personal injury lawsuit for corporate client, following investigation of factual basis of claims and development of key fact witness.
- Defense of various companies in asbestos personal injury and wrongful death litigation brought in state courts throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, and in selected other jurisdictions, involving motions practice, written discovery, and depositions of fact and expert witnesses throughout the country.
- Hon. Henry E. Hudson, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Law Clerk, 2002 - 2003
- Hon. M. Langhorne Keith, 19th Judicial Circuit of Virginia, Law Clerk, 2001 - 2002