J. Thomas O'Brien, Jr.
For more than 20 years, Tom O'Brien, who serves as head of Spotts Fain's Corporate Transactional Group, has represented clients in commercial and business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions of closely held businesses.
- Represented sellers in sale of stock of closely held medical services company to venture fund
- Represented shareholders in sale of two related closely held companies servicing the coal industry to a venture fund
- Represented closely held contractor servicing various state and federal agencies in sale of its assets to a private venture fund
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of "Big Three" car dealership
- Represented large mechanical contracting company in sale of assets to Fortune 100 corporation
- Represented closely held graphics company in sale of assets to a venture fund
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of assets from a closely held boat dealership
- Represented U.S. entity in sale of a European subsidiary to a NYSE venture fund
- Routinely represents owners of closely held businesses in contentious "business divorces"
Tom earned his B.S. in Commerce from the University of Virginia in 1982. He earned his J.D. cum laude from the T.C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond in 1986. He is a member of the Richmond and Virginia Bar Associations, and he served as Chairman of the Real Estate Section of the Richmond Bar Association from 1994 to 1995. Tom has served on the Board of Directors and is past President of Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1986) Chancellor, McNeill Law Society Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Member
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.S. in Accounting and Commerce, 1982)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association, Real Estate Section
- Richmond Bar Association, Real Estate Section, 1994 - 1995
- Menin Development Companies, Inc., General Counsel
- Hunton & Williams, Associate
- 1959, Richmond, Virginia, United States of America