Hugh M. Fain, III
Hugh M. Fain, III is admitted to practice in Virginia and Texas. His practice emphasizes commercial and business litigation including contract disputes, business torts, employment law, intellectual property, construction litigation, and shareholder and partnership disputes.
Hugh earned a B.A. in Economics, with distinction, from the Virginia Military Institute in 1980. In 1983, he earned a J.D. from the University of Virginia, where he served on the editorial board of the Journal of Natural Resources Law and was a member of the Raven Society.
Hugh is a past President of the Richmond Bar Association, and Past President of the Virginia Bar Association. He is a Commissioner in Chancery, Henrico County. Hugh is also a member of the faculty of the Virginia State Bar Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, and he is a member of the Board of the Legal Services Corporation of Virginia.
Hugh has been named by his peers in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America in four categories, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Employment Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation. He has been named in Virginia Business Magazine's Legal Elite each year since 2003 and in the Virginia Super Lawyers list each year since its inception. Hugh is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell.
Hugh, his wife Renee and their three children live in Richmond. Hugh has coached his children in youth league sports and enjoys hunting, golf and tennis. He is a past president of the Innsbrook Rotary Club, VMI Club of Richmond and the VMI Alumni Association and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the VMI Foundation and will begin a term as President in July 2014.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia (J.D., Raven Society, 1983) Law Journal: University of Virginia Journal of Natural Resources Law, Editorial Board
- Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia (B.A. in Economics, with distinction, 1980)
- Pooling and Unitization in Virginia: The Law, the Regulations And the Reality, Landman - Official Journal of the American Association of Professional Landmen, May/June, 1993
- UBS Fin. Servs. v. Carilion Clinic, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 1884 (4th Cir. 2013)
- UBS Fin. Servs. v. Carilion Clinic, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 106120 (E.D. Va. July 30, 2012)
- eServices, LLC v. Energy Purchasing, Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27254 (E.D. Va. Mar. 15, 2011)
- PBM Prods., LLC v. Mead Johnson & Co., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22848 (E.D. Va. Mar. 12, 2010)
- Delta-T Corp. v. Harris Thermal Transfer Prods., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 80647 (E.D. Va. Sept. 4, 2009)
- Old Dominion Freight Line v. Std. Sec. Life Ins. Co., 73 Va. Cir. 441 (Circuit Court of the City of Richmond 2007)
- Silicon Image v. Genesis Microchip, 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 9658 (Fed. Cir. 2006)
- Silicon Image v. Genesis Microchip, 271 F. Supp. 2d (U.S. District Court E.D. Virginia 2003)
- Commonwealth Biotechnologies v. Va. Commonwealth Univ., 59 Va. Cir. 98 (Circuit Court of the City of Richmond 2002)
- Taylor v. Frazer, 42 Fed.Appx. 651, 2002 WL 1893174 (4th Cir. (Va.) 2002)
- Lightner v. Ferguson, 58 Va.Cir. 76, 2001 WL 1590464 (Va. Cir. Ct. 2001)
- KPMG Peat Marwick, L.L.P. v. Estate of Nelco, Ltd., Inc., 250 B.R. 74 (U.S. District Court E.D. Virginia 2000)
- Coleman v. Ward, 208 F.3d 208, 2000 WL 245290 (4th Cir. (Va.) 2000)
- Waste Management Holdings, et al. v. Gilmore, 87 F.Supp.2d 536, 30 Envtl. L. Rep. 20,334 (U.S. District Court E. D. Virginia 2000)
- River Road Shopping Center, Inc. v. Scott, 259 Va. 87, 523 S.E.2d 494 (Supreme Court of Virginia 2000)
- Smith v. Sydnor, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20074 (U.S. District Court E.D. Virginia 2000)
- Pollard & Bagby, Inc. v. Pierce Arrow, L.L.C., et al., 258 Va. 524, 521 S.E.2d 761 (Supreme Court of Virginia 1999)
- Waste Management Holdings, Inc. et al. v. Gilmore, 64 F.Supp.2d 537, 30 Envtl. L. Rep. 20,090 (U. S. District Court E. D. Virginia 1999)
- Smith v. Sydnor, 184 F.3d 356 (4th Cir. (Va.) 1999)
- Warner v. Clementson, 254 Va. 356; 492 S.E.2d 655 (Supreme Court of Virginia 1997)
- Gilbert v. Edward H. Winks Architecture, P.C., 41 Va.Cir. 344 (Circuit Court of the City of Richmond 1997)
- Actuarial Benefits & Design Corp. v. Virginia Employment Commission, 23 Va.App 640; 478 S.E.2d 735 (Court of Appeals of Virginia 1996)
- U.S. Postal Service v. Real Properties MLP Limited, 907 F.Supp. 154 (U.S. District Court E.D. Virginia 1995
- CaterCorp. Inc. v. Catering Concepts, Inc., 246 Va. 22; 431 S.E.2d 277 (Supreme Court of Virginia 1993)
- CSX Transportation, Inc. v. Forst, 808 F.Supp. 517 (U.S. District Court E.D. Virginia 1992)
- U.S. v. Harford, 870 F.2d 656, 1989 WL 21563 (4th Cir. (Va.) 1989)
- Saul v. Penn Virginia Resources Corp. et al., 121 F.R.D. 657 (U.S. District Court W.D. Virginia 1988
- Virginia Bar Association, Past President
- Richmond Bar Association, 2006 - 2007
- VMI Foundation, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees
President, July 2014--
- VMI Alumni Association, Inc.
- VMI Club of Richmond
- Texas State Bar
- Innsbrook Rotary Club
- Chambers USA, Litigation Virginia
- Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Virginia Business magazine Legal Elite, 2003 - present
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers, 2006 - present
- Faculty, Virginia State Bar Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course
- Ethical and Other Considerations in Business Divorces, January 11, 2012
- Best Practices in Circuit Court: An Interactive Judges' Forum for Richmond Area Litigators, Moderator, April 3, 2012
- Difficult Depositions, Virginia CLE, August 28, 2009
- Best Practices in Circuit Court: An Interactive Judges' Forum for Richmond-Area Litigators: Pleadings, Practice, Discovery, and Expert Witnesses, Virginia CLE, February 24, 2009
- Recovering Attorney's Fees in Commercial Litigation, Spotts, Smith, Fain & Buis, P.C.
- March 27, 1958, Richmond, Virginia, United States of America